Thursday, April 29, 2010

Starting Point

I've had this idea in my head about a weight loss blog for longer then I've been losing weight to be honest. I think it first came to me right before I was pregnant with our son. I knew the weight would still be there to lose after my pregnancy and for the past 6 months the idea has still been in the back of my mind.

My youngest son, Elijah was born in November and shortly afterwards I began to have crazy health problems. My liver levels were bad, I wasn't feeling good, and I even had to be rushed to the ER by ambulance! I had to stop nursing Elijah, wore heart monitors, the list goes on and on. Finally in February I ended up having my gall bladder taken out. Many of the "issues" have gotten better since then. Towards the end of January I weighed in at a whopping 325 lbs.

I know. You must be thinking, how does one get to 325 lbs? I really don't know, exactly. I sure didn't intend for it to happen. When Kevin and I got married 10 years ago I weighed right around 200 lbs. Although I could have lost a little weight, I was fairly healthy. I looked nice and could buy clothes just about anywhere. The summer before we got married I got mono and stopped running. I had been running 4 miles per day several days a week. I never really picked up anything else that I enjoyed doing. We were a very unhealthy mixture of busy, poor and stressed. Kevin and I both gained a lot of weight during the first 3 years we were married. Did you know the number one predictor of obesity is income level?

Then we started having babies. I was up to 250 when I got pregnant with Lydianna, and around 280 when she was born. I lost down to around 270 but never got the rest of the weight off. When I got pregnant with Adalee I was around 280, got up to around 305. I lost some of that weight and hovered around 290 for about a year. Then in 2006 Kevin worked around 100 miles away and we only had one vehicle. I was trapped at home and very depressed. I didn't even open the curtains most days. I hit about 310 that year. When I got pregnant with Elijah I didn't really gain any weight (Yay!) but of course after he was born the PCOS kicked in and I gained a little more bringing me to the 325 point in January.

Yes, I do have PCOS which definitely makes it hard to lose weight at this point. I don't personally know if PCOS makes it easier to gain weight or if I have PCOS because of my weight. I do know that I don't eat as much as a lot of thin people I know. I also know that life just isn't fair and I need to figure out how to lose weight for me.

For the past 8 weeks I've been exercizing regularly, mostly at the local YMCA and eating better. I've lost some weight (Weigh in will be coming shortly) but not as much as I would like. So, this next week we are changing our diet drastically. I think many days I'm working my butt off at the gym only to sabatoge myself with food.

I fully expect this to take around 2 years. But, if I don't take the 2 years now it will still take 2 years from whenever I start. I turned 30 last week and am certainly not getting any younger.

So here goes....

No comments:

Post a Comment